Thursday 21 June 2007

Not giving up...

Ever since we started this challenge I've been wrestling with the problem of how far to take the Zero Waste ethic. Should we shun everyday staples to keep down the waste, then start buying them again next month? How far should I push it? I considered, for example, 'going Indian' for the month - i.e. not even using (recycled) toilet paper. Having done this in India I know I could, but it's not so easy in this country where all loos are geared toward paper usage. However some time ago I stopped using disposable sanitary products, and this poses less of a challenge. I shant go into detail, but if ladies want to know more, just visit http://www.mooncup.co.uk/ One of the best purchases I've ever made.

Back to more everyday items, and I decided that there were some things we wouldn't give up, but we'd make more of an effort to minimise the waste created. The main example of this is yoghurt. We have stopped buying individual portion-sized pots of yoghurt. Instead we buy a large waxed-cardboard pot (compostable) and decant the yoghurt into small airtight tupperware pots for lunches. The pots still have a plastic peel off lid, but one of these is better than 6. Maybe we can persuade the organic company that makes the yoghurt to make the lids compost-heap friendly too?

We're avoiding things wrapped in plastic, but actually anything that comes in a plastic bag is still looked upon as a resource at the moment. With the green dog loo still waiting to be installed we need bags to take out dog-walking, and I don't want to have to buy any!

No comments: