Thursday 7 June 2007

It's a dog's life

Determined to get off on the right foot, on Friday evening I rooted out the 'green dog loo' that's been in the shed for months and cleared a space to install it. This is basically a bin with holes in that you bury, put dog poo in with an activator and flush through with water every so often, thus composting the waste. Over the month I will need to dispose of about 60 of our dog's doings. Most of these are collected on walks, and at the moment we reuse plastic bags from bread etc, and most of them go in the special bins in the park - but this is still landfilled. On examining the instructions on the kit though, I discovered that I have to dig a hole about a metre wide and 70cm deep, and then back-fill it with stones and gravel which I don't have. Realising that this is a bit more complicated and time-consuming than first thought, I decided I need my other half to help out. As he's away it will have to wait - so much for getting off on the right foot!

To cheer myself up I took our considerable backlog of plastic bottles to the recycling centre, and spent Monday evening making fish cakes from scratch for the first time. This added about an hour onto the usual cooking time for bought fishcakes, but there was no packaging, I froze some for homemade 'ready meals' and they were delicious! Now I can feel smug again.

No comments: