Tuesday 3 July 2007

Where are the maggots?

Catching up, rather apologetically, with what others have been doing and writing, it seems that for one reason or another I have done little to change what comes into the house, but have had a good look at what would be going into the bin in an normal month.
I have collected it in the back porch, sorted it and photographed it.

The big plastic bag at the back is the DIY debris.
The big white bag is food packaging, the blue carrier bag is office waste (mainly plastic bags from magazines) and the Waitrose bag is miscellaneous household.

But where, I ask, are the maggots?
This month included more meat packaging than normal because we too had an end of term BBQ for my husband's tutees, complete with Waitrose burgers and sausages. I have used meat from the freezer bought from Aldi long before the Zero Waste Challenge, all in plastic boxes. The simple answer seems to be to rinse the packaging at the end of the washing up, and there is nothing to attract the flies.

I have had my baby granddaughter to stay without her mother, so I have had special little plastic bags of breastmilk in my freezer. These have proved very useful, washed and dried, for freezing portions of raspberries from the allotment, but some of them are damaged, and have to go in the black bin. Fortunately my daughter has decided to go for reusable nappies, so I have not had to store any used disposables in the porch for a month! Phew!

No comments: